Dr. Joaquín Arias
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería Informática
Calle Tulipán s/n, 28933 Móstoles (Madrid), SPAIN
My research focuses on the extension of a rule-base high-level programming language, based on constraints and logic, and its application in reasoning over stream data.
I have been working at the IMDEA Software Institute, under the supervision of Dr. Manuel Carro. We have designed and implemented a modular constraint system, Modular TCLP, and validated it with the integration of several constraint domains. We have used Modular TCLP to reimplement the state-of-the-art abstract interpreter PLAI increasing efficiency with shorter coding (1/3 of the previous version). We then sketched out how to apply TCLP to stream data analysis and detected the need to capture non-monotonic reasoning.
Since my stay at the University of Texas at Dallas in 2017, I have collaborated with them in the development of s(CASP), a novel non-monotonic reasoning system that integrates answer set programming and constraints. We have applied s(CASP) in several applications, e.g., to model and reason using event calculus.
- 2020: Ph.D. in Computer Science (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
- 2015: M.Sc. Computer Science (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
- 2014: B.Sc. Computer Science (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
- 2002: M.Arch. Architecture (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
Research & Teaching Positions
- 2020 – now: Assistant Profesor at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (URJC), Madrid, Spain
- 2013 – 2020: Pre-Doctoral Researcher at IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid, Spain
- Summer 2019: Research visitor Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland
- Summer 2017: Research visitor University of Texas at Dallas, USA
Main Research Interests
- (Constraint) Logic Programming
- TCLP = Tabling + Constraints Logic Programming
- s(CASP) = ASP + Constraint – grounding
- Stream Data Analysis & Spatial Reasoning